After the tour, we had a "welcoming dinner" at a restaurant down the street from the school. Though hard to believe, it is true that Czech beer is cheaper than water. At this restaurant, a half liter of beer was the same price as .2 liters of water, a little less than $2. So, to be economical, most of the group decided to go with the beer. We still have a very limited understanding of anything Czech, and few menus seem to have much English, so I have some difficulty ordering from menus without any pictures. In the end I decided to order a mushroom gnocchi dish, which turned out to be delicious. At then end of our meal the teachers bought everyone a shot of Czech liquor, the name I am not going to attempt to write. Immediately after the shot, one of the teachers announced, "Now that I have you all liquored up, here's your first assignment..." How nice. We were told that we would need to teach a "skill," of any kind, to the class the following day.
After dinner, two guys in our class, Iain and Steven, invited Kate and I to an open mic hip-hop battle they wanted to perform at. It was located at a dive bar down the street from our hotel. We weren't sure what to expect, but decided we couldn't miss the opportunity, and agreed to tag along. The bar was dark and dingy, but the people were friendly and welcoming (at least those I could understand). Kate and I were impressed not only at our friends' bravery, but also at how well they did. These guys seriously have no fear. Their rap aliases were "slick willy" and "stevie 2-step." Though most people in the audience had no idea what they were saying, there were several people jamming and dancing around during their sets.
Most of the people there spoke broken English at best. We met one guy wearing an LA Lakers hat. During our conversation we made a reference to basketball, after which he looked confused and acted as if he had no idea what we were talking about. When we pointed to his hat he said, "oh, I just wear this for show." Overall, the night was a blast and we were extremely glad we went.
For the most part, we have a really great group and everyone seems to get along pretty well. We start student teaching with actual students on Thursday. It will be a shorter session, only 15 minutes per teacher. We start giving full lessons (45 min) on Monday. I'm finally adjusting to the time change and am able to sleep through the night, thank goodness.
The Czech liquor was probably one of these two:
ReplyDeleteBecharovka, which all Czechs believe is a great digestif, or Slivovice, a Moravian plum liquor. Both of them hit very fast!