Wednesday, August 5, 2009

TEFL, TEFL, TEFL...

Class continues to go well. We are learning a lot and feel like we are getting a lot of useful information. Today we had a "Czech survival" lesson. The lesson not only taught us some useful Czech phrases (Dobry den!--hello) but also served as a model of how we should approach lessons for beginners. I had some difficulty getting a hang of it at first. Pronunciations were most difficult, and everything turned out having a faint Spanish accent (supposedly it is very common to revert to a foreign language you know when learning a new foreign language). Tomorrow is our first day teaching actual students, but luckily it only needs go last about 15 minutes. I think all of us feel pretty prepared and confident.

Kate and I went on a run throughout the city this morning. This has been a great way for us to get to know the city. While most people are asleep, we get to see a lot of the major landmarks without the crowds. I have a map that includes pictures of landmarks we pass along the way, and am trying to figure out a way to incorporate it into my blog. All this time, I was sure that I would miss the lakes in Minneapolis so much. And while this is true, the beauty of Prague is definitely comparable to that of MN, but in a much different way.

2 comments:

  1. Kari: I am so excited to read about your progress in Prague. It sounds like your "excellent adventure" will benefit you and many others! Love, your Aunt Joan

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad to hear that everything in going so well, Kare Bear! I spied some of Kate's pictures on facebook and it looks like you guys are having a blast. I was wondering if you two would take advantage of the mornings and get a couple of runs in and it sounds like you have. That's how Zach discovered Rome and Athens... I'm confident that I'll be discovering a new European city soon enough. I can hear some place far and distant calling my name. But in the mean time, stay safe and healthy. Love you - Miss you.

    ReplyDelete